January 10, 2012

Happy Birthday Deanna!

Friends are like flowers in the garden of life.
Beginning with a seed of trust,
Nurtured with laughter and tears,
Growing into loyalty and love.
~Author Unknown~


Today is the birthday of a dear friend. She is walking into the last year of her 20's and she has so much to look forward to (I can say that since I'm over half way through year 29, right?  :o).

Only 9 years ago, when she began her 20's, we met as roommates at Bible college. We were both new to the campus and were grateful for a smiling face and fast friend as a roommate. That night we celebrated her birthday with homemade chicken fajitas. We have a common love for Tex-Mex so it was a hit!

We began a journey of a lifetime that year - we began to understand more who we were created to be and what God had in store for our futures. Studying at Christ for the Nations Institute was a blessing to us both. I remember asking her, "So what are your plans for the future?". She replied that she was going to stay a semester or two to get a firm foundation of God's Word, etc. and then go back to college and finish her degree. I though, "We'll see about that!." Two years later we graduated from CFNI together!

She went on to marry the man of her dreams the spring after graduation and I transferred and finished my degree. A couple of years later she helped coordinate my wedding as I married my sweetheart! (we met both of our hubbies at Bible school, and we weren't even looking! :o)


We were both pregnant with our girls at the same time and our lives have crossed paths over the years as she and her family have moved across the country and back.

Our girls - best little buds.
Sweet as sugar!



I'm HAPPY to say that she now lives twenty minutes down the road and I get to see her often! I'm so excited to celebrate the arrival of her baby boy in a couple of months! What a blessing to stay connected to sisters in the Lord and friends who are going through similar seasons of life (we have a network of roommates who keep in touch - love it!).

     
Auntie D with my daughter, while pregnant with her girl... and 2 years later holding my son!



As friends we get to listen to one another's hearts and as believers we can stand in the gap for each other and encourage one another. Proverbs 27:17 is true in this relationship - we get to sharpen one another, as iron sharpens iron... especially when it comes to being godly mothers and wives!

I pray that you, dear reader, are as blessed as I am to have a good girl friend or two who you can walk through life with, whether they live near or far away. It helps to have someone you can call on for prayer or just to laugh or cry with (or both at the same time!).

You can always count on me to make us laugh and smile our "real" smiles :o)


Today is YOUR day, dear Deanna. I pray it is a blessed one and that this year holds abundant blessings for you and your family. May your Blessed Warrior arrive in his perfect timing and may your labor and delivery be all that you hope for!


You are a gem of a friend and I'm so thankful we were thrown together as roommates 9 years ago. God knew what He was doing! You "sharpen" me in many ways. I look forward to learning more from you and growing together with you in the years to come!


Much love,


PS - Told you they were lovely pictures!

0 comments: